The Center to Address Disparities in Oral Health (CAN DO) at UCSF forms part of the Early Childhood Caries Collaborative Centers (EC4) along with the Center for Research to Evaluate and Eliminate Dental Disparities (CREEDD) at Boston University and the Center for Native Oral Health Research (CNOHR) at the University of Colorado at Denver.
Funded by the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR), the EC4 collaborative researches ways to prevent early childhood tooth decay or caries in children and other high risk populations through multiple, randomized prevention trials.
It also seeks to integrate its research into current scientific understanding and implement its findings across primary care and social service settings.
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) tapped UCSF to house the data coordinating center (DCC) for the EC4 Collaborative.
The DCC houses a multidisciplinary team that helps to set up and administer clinical trials at the three different universities and collects and monitors information from these multiple, randomized prevention trials.
The responsibilities of the DCC include:
- Refining protocols and manuals of procedure
- Coordinating working group activities
- Fostering standards for database integration
- Ensuring physical and electronic database security
- Implementing and refining clinical trial management systems
- Performing primary data analyses
- Coordinating common data elements
- Refining data analysis plans
- Sharing data per data use agreements
- Consulting on cross‐center analyses
- Reviewing abstracts and manuscripts
- Coordinating external scientific advisory committees (ESAC)
- Coordinating data & safety monitoring board (DSMB) logistics
- Monitoring trial accrual and adverse events
- Performing quality assurance activities
Additional Services for the UCSF Community
The DCC's expertise in setting up and administering dental or oral health clinical trials and in data collection and management is also available to members of the UCSF community.
Please consider working with the DCC, if assistance is needed in any of the aforementioned areas or with more specific tasks such as preparing tables for the reporting of clinical trial results in ClinicalTrials.Gov.
- ClinicalTrials.Gov Results Reporting Consulting Service
- ClinicalTrials.Gov Results Reporting SAS macros